Sunday, October 19, 2008

 

Day 16 - Longest Downhill in the World

Yesterday we rode over the Himalayas (two 5000m+ passes) and started the descent into Nepal, which is below 1000m, making this stretch of road the longest downhill in the world. Today we will cross the border and our time in Tibet will be over. That part is sad, but the trip has been amazing! We have been on the bike for 16 of the past 17 days (with two and a half more to go) and the landscape, road and challenges have been diverse enough to keep us from getting bored. The last 5 days have been 95% off road, and we are completely dusty and dirty. But smiling and having a blast!

We can't wait to post the pictures... All I can say is this experience has surpassed all my expectations. Gorgeous!

On the being the only girl note: I wasn't the first one in the sag wagon! One guy got in the other day on some tough off road. In fact, I haven't been in the 4x4 at all, and with 2.5 downhill days coming up, I am feeling good that i won't have to use it. I was worried about all the off-road, since I didn't have any experience. But I have found it really fun to ride over rocks uphill and even through sand and water crossings! I am starting to rethink selling my mountain bike - I guess I will just have to get one in Austin!

Time to go now, we'll get all updated when we get to Shanghai. Hope all is well at home, we are so far removed from any news or updates!

Comments:
Cool! Girl power! The final stretch must have been filled with so many emotions. What a powerful thing to experience.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?