Sunday, August 31, 2008

 

The Nike Human Race

Today, Tim and I participated in a 10k called the Human Race. It was the second race we could walk to from our apartment and the second race Tim bandited due to waiting too long to register. Between us we had a timing chip and one race bib (which was screen printed on a Nike drifit women's small shirt), these we got from Tim's coworker who couldn't make it to the race. I took the chip and left Tim the women's small shirt. Seriously.

It was my first race in China! And my first 10k. It started at Century Park, did a lap outside the park and then a lap inside. We woke up after a late night an hour before the gun, and it poured on our warm-up to the starting line. We jumped over the guard rails to get in the pack just as the gun was going off (no standing around in the rain), and we were off! I know it happens in the states too, but there seemed to be an abundance of sprinting at the start and inappropriate running wear (jeans?). But then, this is China. The kilometer markers were erratically spaced, and our splits varied significantly. Even at the 5k point, I had no idea about my pace! My favorite was all the guards along the path, who seemed a bit perturbed at the added work of watching thousands of runners go through their post on a rainy day when they could have just been sitting under the protection of their guard stands. The scowls on their faces were classic! Around the 6km mark, I had some guards nonchalantly strolling three abreast on the path, and I needed to dodge around them. There was also a good laladui contingency along the route, including some cheerleaders pomming to "Hey Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind!". Some smooth jazz at 7km reminded us to take it easy. It was so much fun!

And now to enjoy the rest of our Sunday. ;-)

Comments:
To add a few comments:
* Laurel modestly failed to mention the most exciting part of the race, which was that she ran a very swift 52 minute 10k. Before the race she conservatively estimated 65 minutes but obviously blew that out of the water. So much faster than expected that I actually missed her finish.
* For the record, I technically didn't bandit the race; just used a friend's registration in her place. Not wanting to accidentally place in her age group, I decided it would be best to give Laurel the timing chip and I just kept the previously mentioned women's small race jersey. The restricted breathing of a skin tight shirt probably slowed me down a few seconds :-)
* After crossing the finish line, I was interviewed by one of the local TV stations ... AGAIN! (I think I've been interviewed after just about every race I've run in China).
 
Only jeans? No heels?? After all, this IS China. =)
 
Hahaha, heels would have been appropriate. Especially on the girls I saw running in skirts. :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?