Monday, June 30, 2008

 

CSA

Community Supported Agriculture.

I've been getting excited reading online about all the farmer's markets and CSA's starting up in the US, excited to get back for some locally grown organic vegetables. There are farmer's markets here everyday, but not necessarily organic. And then recently, we started getting involved in a local organic farm called BIOFarm. And last week they started a CSA! We received our first seasonal "basket" this week:


Another exciting thing is that they have asked me to help them out: They mentioned BIOFarm has a lot of customers who want to support BIOFarm, but may not know how to prepare the vegetables. So, each week I will cook some dishes from the vegetables that come in the box, then post some pictures and recipes online for other CSA members. I am not too clear where they are posting these yet, but I will update the link when I find out!

Comments:
This is very cool and funny that you posted this today. I just emailed my dad an hour ago about potentially turning their land in IL into a CSA. They have a huge veggie garden, orchard, beehives, and pastureland suitable for grazing cattle and/or sheep. Great minds think alike today apparently. (Yours and mine that is).
We have been trying to get caught up since our return from China... slowly but surely. We miss you both greatly! :) Funny story- the other day Audrey and I went into Boston on the train. I told her we were riding the subway and she said, "Will Tim be there? Not Ani's daddy Tim (that's our friend Tim Brown), but the other kind of Tim?" Too cute. She misses you too!
I look forward to hearing about your experiences with the BioFarm cooking. That is such a fun opportunity!
I was thinking about you guy last night and how I told you the one big change in the US since you've been gone is this whole 'green' movement. It seems to me that it's moving at a much faster pace even in just the last month. It will be interesting to see what you think of it all. Some is just annoying jumping on the band wagon stuff, but at least it's happening..
Anyways, world's longest comment... :)
 
We just moved to Shanghai and just learned about BIOfarm half a hour ago from a friend's friend. She gave me a phone number for contact but no answer. So I jumped on the Internet to find the website if any. Didn't find it's website but I located to your blog. This is even better. We lived in Biyun area and would like to explore that farm if possible. Any suggestions?
Love the idea of CSA
 
Hi Jenny,
Glad you are also interested in supporting local and organic produce in Shanghai!
BIOFarm website: http://www.biofarm.cn (only in Chinese for now!).
You can also directly contact Alice from BIOFarm: aliceostore@gmail.com
She can tell you about Farm visits and the CSA. Also, they do home delivery, she can email you the order form.
There is also a small market Saturday mornings 9:30-12 at our apartment complex, Yanlord Town near Thumb's plaza. If you are in the area, give me a message and we can meet up, its nice to have like-minded friends. laurel.stelzer (at) gmail.com
 
Hi Laurel:
I hooked up with BioFarm finally. So far, I chose the home delivery on Wednesday. I live in Green Court Apartment. They offer a variety of produces that I am trying to experiment all. So far it has been a wonderful experience. Do you use basket or delivery or Saturday market? I also take orders from two other friends. Really hope we can have chance to meet up someday.
Jenny
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?