Tuesday, October 09, 2007

 

Beijing 北京

Beijing - The Capital of China!

We are back from our Guo Qing Jie trip to Beijing. Just like everyone said, it was crowded. But overall, it was a good trip. I can't believe it took us almost 2 years to get there! Beijing has a totally different feel from Shanghai. It's difficult to describe... it felt slower and deeper.

I will spare you all the trip details, since at a thousand words each, I am sure Tim's pictures will tell the whole story. Here are some of the highlights:

  1. Stepping off the plane to low (40%) humidity and Autumn conditions.
  2. Introducing my friends to Chinese Beer, Kung Pao Chicken and their favorite, fish-smelling pork.
  3. Walking the Wall - 10km from Jinshanling to Simatai - under unbelievable blue skies. It was physically challenging, and (mostly) quiet and gorgeous.
  4. Visiting the site pictured on the back of the 100 kuai note - the Beijing Congressional Building next to Tian'anmen.
  5. The Temple of Heaven at sunset
  6. Stumbling upon an opera group in the park of the Summer Palace
  7. The Beijing Attractions - you've gotta see them, and the highlight is probably having them checked off the list: Forbidden City, eating Beijing Duck, Jingju (Beijing Opera), Tian'anmen Square

We really liked it. I think we might need to go back for another visit. We totally missed the underground grunge rock scene.


Comments:
Aw, Sounds like you had a much better time in Beijing than when I went. Wish I went with you! And I'm really jealous that you did the wall hike, I so wanted to do that. Despite the torrential downpours and sweltering heat...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?