Wednesday, September 26, 2007

 

Mingzi 名字

First Name.

After a long discussion about mingzi last night with a friend (what will their neighbors name their baby? Bryson? Mackenzie?) I got a chance to name my own today. Not baby, but Chinese colleague who was looking for an English name to help in communication to the US. Zhang Yan is beautiful, unmistakably mixed with some middle eastern blood, or from Xinjiang, I didn't ask. We checked out some names on the web and I suggested Jasmine. For me, Jasmine is the princess from Aladdin and they have many similar characteristics - the eyes, the hair. I told her this name in Chinese - Moli Hua. There is a beautiful old Chinese song moli hua. I think she is happy with it. And I will never forget it.

Xu Jing went with George.

Comments:
it's funny you mention the naming thing, because there are quite a few asian students in my law school with american names. The oddest one I've come across thus far is Kevin Kim, whose original name is JooBong Kim.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?