Saturday, June 23, 2007

 

Mei yu 梅雨

Plum rain season.

This week marked the official start of the mei yu here in Shanghai. Don't let the innocent name fool you - a more appropriate moniker should be the "we all laugh as hairy foreigners try to swim through the air" season. In fact, the Chinese have an expression that goes something like "把空气扭到水" (I think?) "空气里拧水" which literally means to ring water out of the air.

Coming from semi-arid Colorado, even Austin seemed tropical to me. Shanghai is like walking around Austin wearing a plastic garbage bag around your body. And I swear the air tastes like the inside of a stale balloon. Ponder that for a minute while I scoop out a watermelon and plop it on my head to cool off.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?