Monday, February 12, 2007

 

Xin Nian Kuai Le (II) 新年快乐

Happy New Year, Part II.

The Chinese New Year is coming, and its like the week before Christmas here. Red knot decorations are everywhere, fireworks go off every 10 minutes - and get more and more frequent as the day nears - , and the year-end company parties are in full swing. Last night was AMD's company-wide party, complete with MCs, dancers, a fashion show, lucky draw and banquet style dinner for all 300 employees at a classic hotel on the bund. It was OK, but I didn't win anything :-(

Tonight (Monday), I was heading home via shuttle bus when I inadvertently invited myself to another company's new year's celebration. I asked for a door to door drop off from the driver after he had left everyone at the subway stop. I was on his way home, after all. However, after the stop, I was left on the bus with the driver, receptionist, maintenance man and office ayi. They said they were planning to go to dinner and I asked if I could come along, since Tim would be playing badminton all night anyway. They hesitated, and I shamefully mistook this for a "zhongguoren only" attitude. But they made a call and took me along. I did not see it coming that my companions all worked for the same janitorial company Beijing HanYang. I mean, what janitorial company provides a receptionist? It turned out to be really cool. 12 people in a private room, with a case of beers (even ayi was drinking!) and great Ningbo food. The bill was probably 300RMB. It was so welcoming and warm. Its times like these that I love China.

Comments:
Laurel - when I read the line
"I inadvertently invited myself to another company's new year's celebration" I said to myself "Laurel posted this blog," glanced down and the signature line, and sure enough, it was true.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?