Sunday, November 12, 2006

 

Yin yue hui 音乐会

Concert.

It's not often that a Grammy-award winning artist NOT named Robin Gibb plays a yin yue hui in Shanghai. So when I heard Bela Fleck was playing at the JZ Club with Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet, I figured it would be worth 80 RMB and a Monday night.

I'm certainly no Bluegrass aficionado. In fact, before Monday I didn't know anything about any of these artists except the fact that Bela Fleck has a funny name and plays the banjo. Now I know he plays the banjo damn well (and still has a funny name). Fleck's banjo and lao wai Washburn's completely out-of-nowhere-near-fluent Mandarin were worth the price of admission, but for me Casey Driessen stole the show with his funky scratch-fiddle licks.

Okay, enough name dropping. Time to leave the music reviews to the real writers.

Comments:
Luis & Miriam LOVE Bela Fleck! They always ask my sister to put his cd in while in the car. Now you and Luis will have something to talk about next time you see him. :) Love ya!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?