Thursday, August 03, 2006

 

Womende Qu 我们的区

Our neighborhood.

I think one thing you friends at home wonder about the most is our daily experiences. So I can tell you about the walk I just took through womende qu to the grocery store. I left the apartment around 7:40 at night. It was dark, kind of, but the sky was so clear. Typhoon season and all the smog is blown away. I think this weekend's typhoon is near Hong Kong. Anyway, I could see the moon and the outlines of the buildings were crisp. Beautiful. I start the walk to the grocery store. I am out to buy honey for the ayi to make granola tomorrow. She can't seem to find it so I am going to the grocery store 10 minutes walk instead of 5 minutes to see if I can find it there. First of all, even though its night and dark I cannot be afraid walking alone. At the moment I start to feel a bit a alone all I have to do is look up and I see at least 30 people walking, standing, sitting, driving, riding, eating, etc. Other times I have to be careful not to trip over people. Everyone is in the street. Its a hot night and no one has air conditioning. I walk past the pallet break down store, and get a whiff of some sewage smell. Then the huge pharmacy where you can get whatever you want over the counter if you can ask for it in Chinese. Then a series of small "restaurants" - 5 kuai dinners served out of the wok on the street. There are tables, in the street. This area is full of empty taxis, the taxi drivers are all eating, smoking, chatting after the rush hour they finally rest. This is where I get the first shout-out "Hello! Taxi!". Just whatever English they can throw at my blond head. I walk on. I can see a young girl scraping at an old man's toes through the plateglass windows of the foot massage place. Smell the urine in the corner where someone is inevitably peeing (probably a taxi driver). A woman is making fried rice on the corner in her pushcart stall. Second shout-out in 5 minutes: "Hello! Nice to meet you!". I get to the neon park that is the supermarket - and its packed. But why not? Its air conditioned and no one cares if you walk around in your PJs. Can't find the honey. In fact they have rearranged the store. This happens about twice a month. I think because people go to the store everyday it is a way to keep them interested. So I find all sorts of things I didn't even know they sold, but no honey. The line is too long anyway, I head in the direction of the other store. Its packed too, but they have honey. They have also rearranged, and where I thought it was (and told the ayi to look for it), I find women's underwear. They have also changed the first floor, its multi level to save space - definitely not for convenience, so now there is no choice but to walk past the fish, turtles, eels and frogs. I make it out and into the street. One more shout-out for the night, on the corner where tens of vendors have laid tarps on the ground selling, well I would call it, junk. Old fans, clothes and books. Hair accessories, lighters, dish clothes. DVDs, wallets, belts and bags. Anything you could want. I get home. Its 8:30. The air conditioning is on. I think I'll put on my PJs now...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?